Am I an Alcoholic?
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and many treatment providers over the years, have used the following set of questions to help individuals determine whether or not they have a problem with alcohol. If you are questioning whether a substance other than alcohol could be a problem for you, then replace drinking with using, and alcohol with your substance of choice.
Answer “Yes” or No” to these questions as honestly as you can:
- Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
- Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
- Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
- Is drinking affecting your reputation?
- Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
- Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
- Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
- Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
- Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
- Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
- Do you want a drink the next morning?
- Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
- Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
- Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
- Do you drink alone?
- Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
- Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
- Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
- Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
Answering YES to any one of these questions, is a warning that you may be have a problem with alcohol.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to three or more, you clearly have an alcohol problem, maybe in early, middle or late stage alcoholism and should seek help immediately.
Source: These test questions are used by the John Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is alcoholic.
Call 215.692.2753 for a no-obligation telephone consultation on how Alliance Counseling Services can be of assistance to you and/or your organization.